Schrems TU in conjunction with local municipalities were awarded a $25,000 grant to assess the water quality in the Buck Creek watershed over the past two years. Currently Buck Creek is a coldwater resource, but highly threatened because of its urban nature. It is very rare to find coldwater in this type of setting, which is why Schrems TU and others like the Michigan Department of Natural Resources and Lower Grand River Organization of Watersheds have highlighted Buck Creek as a threatened stream in need of protection.
The grant that we received from the Department of Environmental Quality doesn’t allow for funds to be used for a clean-ups. Schrems TU, in conjunction with the cities of Kentwood, Grandville, Wyoming and generous sponsors will be hosting a cleanup on Saturday, August 5th. Please pre-register using this link, but walk ins are welcome.
– Volunteers arrive at Lemery Park (4050 Byron Center Ave SW, Wyoming) for check-in. Once you are checked in you will be assigned a number and a team to work with for the day. You will receive a map of your section along the creek, t-shirt, gloves and garbage collection bag. Each “team” will have one guide/leader for the day who will help answer any questions and provide guidance to volunteers. Coffee and baked goods provided by Biggby, Steenstra’s, and Marge’s Donut Den.
-Instructions, team photo, and send-off of volunteers
11:00am – 12:00pm
– Volunteers lunch provided at Osgood’s Brewing in Grandville (4051 Chicago Dr SW, Grandville)
What to Wear/Bring:
1. Comfortable shoes (ones that you don’t mind getting wet/dirty!)
2. Layered clothing long shirt and pants recommended
3. Bug Spray
4. Reusable Water Bottle
5. Waders (if you have them)
Please call or contact Pete Miller if more information is needed or questions arise (517) 420-4003 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
A clean and healthy environment is critical to the overall health of the people that live there. This clean up is just one part of a multi-step process in assessing, improving and conserving Buck Creek. In addition, this type of clean up is an active event where volunteers will be walking and exercising as they positively contribute to Buck Creek. Thank you to the fine sponsors that are making the event possible Accurate Engines, Biggby Coffee, Marge’s Donut Den and Osgood Brewing.